A poster I did mainly just as an excuse to try out some new illustration techniques and also to experiment with creating type that has a hand crafted and ornate appearance.
Been awhile since I’ve posted anything so adding this practice comic page I put together. I wanted to try a few things out, like coloring and working at different sizes. And even though nothing will ever come of it, I still want to finish this short story that features characters from the Star Wars cartoon, Clone Wars.
I was getting some logos that I designed ready to go on my website. I had them all in photoshop and needed to make sure they were all about the same size in order to keep things consistent. After I was done I merged the layers and liked the results.
I was at the art supply store and picked up some canvases that were on clearance. I was thinking that I would do some acrylic or maybe even oil paintings but never really felt all that inspired. Instead I decided to silk screen onto them. I usually have a lot of left over ink when I’m done printing so this is a way to use up what I would just throw away. I plan on adding layers each time I have the silk screen supplies out.
Promotional poster for the Art Director’s Club of Indiana. This 2-color poster was sent out to members to let them know about the 1997 ADCI Best Show. I tried to play around with a business look type of vernacular. I’m sure I could do a lot better now. But at the time I was happy with how it turned out.
The main typeface used in this poster design was “Urchin,” an original typeface that I designed. It’s a somewhat successful but albeit a little naïve attempt at creating my version of a “Swiss Typeface.” I designed it especially for use in this poster. Eventually it was added to the roster of typeface sold by the Indianapolis-based type foundry, The American Type Corporation.
Decided to design a promotional t-shirt for one of my comic books. I had some trouble with the emulsion so need to give this one another go. A lot of the detail like snake scales and Hanafuda card artwork got lost. I did do one t-shirt with this artwork, and will do some more once I get the film perfected and some new textile ink.